The festive season is upon us – it is official! The trees and decorations are up in town centres, shop windows and in our home. Shopping for presents and that perfect sparkly outfit for the Christmas party have begun. There has even been snow in some parts of the North East this week – it really is the most wonderful time of the year.
Most of us look forward to the Christmas party – the highlight of the events calendar. It is a time to let your hair down, celebrate with your co-workers and dance the night away to festive songs; old and new.
On a serious note, and at the risk of sounding bah humbug, maintaining professional and respectful behaviour when attending the annual work’s Christmas party is important to ensure that everyone feels comfortable and has a great time.
Tips on setting boundaries at the work Christmas party:
- Clearly communicate company policies regarding acceptable behaviour during the festive season. Make it known that while celebrations are encouraged, professionalism must be maintained at all times.
- Remind employees to be mindful of their language and behaviour. While some light-hearted banter may be acceptable, it is important to avoid jokes or comments that could be offensive or make others uncomfortable.
- Recognise and respect the diversity of the workforce and ensure that any workplace festivities are inclusive and considerate of different backgrounds.
- If alcohol is involved in festive events, set clear guidelines on responsible drinking. Encourage moderation and provide alternative beverage options. Monitor alcohol consumption to prevent any inappropriate behaviour.
- Remind employees to adhere to the company’s dress code, even during festive celebrations. Avoid costumes or attire that may be deemed unprofessional or offensive. Encourage a balance between festive spirit and maintaining a polished appearance.
- Senior management should set the tone for appropriate behaviour. Leaders can demonstrate professionalism and celebrate the festive season without resorting to silliness that may compromise the workplace environment.
- Remind employees about the company’s social media policy. Discourage the sharing of inappropriate or unprofessional content related to workplace festivities on social media platforms.
By implementing these strategies, HR and management can foster a festive atmosphere while maintaining a professional and respectful workplace environment.
Get a Free Christmas Party Staff Memo Template
The team at HR2day have created a Christmas Party Staff Memo template for you to download for FREE. Issue it to your employees in advance of the big event to give a gentle reminder of the expected standards of behaviour.